Referring to the sales process discussed in yesterday’s post, one of the most important things to do at the Discovery stage is listening.
This Lifehack post on Reasons it’s okay to be quiet sums up why it’s important to be quiet so you can listen. You will:
- Learn how to really listen
- Notice more
- Speak with substance
- Be more approachable
- Have space for inspiration
- Exude calm
Here are a few more benefits to piping down:
- Others feel better about themselves, because people like to be heard
- The more you listen, the more others feel comfortable talking to you, which is crucial for building rapport
- You’re better prepared to steer and control the conversation
Being a good listener requires selflessness, so you have to put your needs of wanting to be heard to one side, and focus on the speaker.