Most people think sales is a sleazy low-brow job; I know I did when I first started out, and for a short while I felt ashamed of being a salesperson. But I soon realised what a powerful discipline selling is, and how it seeps into all areas of your life, into a state of being.
Here’s a great list of top 10 selling tips from Tom Szaky, CEO of TerraCycle.
1. You can sell only if you yourself are convinced
2. Be clear and direct
3. Pressure is an art
4. Know your client
5. It’s all about the presentation
6. Be passionate and exciting
7. If you don’t know the answer, do not guess
8. Answer questions directly and clearly
9. Humour is a great lubricator
10. You can always be better
To read the full article, go here.
Tom’s #5 tip contradicts my previous post on common mistakes, where thinking your sales presentation will seal the deal was amongst them. Obviously you need a strong presentation, but building rapport and listening to the client should have a place on this list.
What do you think? Do you have anything to add, or you disagree with? Please share your thoughts in the comments box.